NCC Students Awarded at SkillsUSA State Competition
Nash Community College students earned numerous awards during competitions at the SkillsUSA North Carolina State Leadership Conference held April 9-11, 2019 in Greensboro. The NCC students and campus received a total of 29 awards, including seven gold competition medals. Six student groups are eligible for the National SkillsUSA Conference in Louisville, KY.
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to promote workforce preparation. More than 2,700 students, instructors and industry leaders attended the conference. SkillsUSA helps each student excel by providing educational programs, leadership opportunities, events and competitions that support career and technical education (CTE).
The College received the Total Participation Award, and Gold Chapter of Distinction Award recognizing achievement related to the integration of the SkillsUSA Framework in chapter program of work activities. NCC President Bill Carver was recognized with the Honorary Lifetime Membership Award which is given to an individual who embodies the ideals of SkillsUSA and is an advocate for the program.
Computer Engineering student Michael Peterson and Cosmetology student Brandy Davis received the Outstanding Member Award recognizing their efforts in serving the organization diligently at the local, state, or national level.
- Arts and Communication Career Pathways Showcase: Brandy Davis (Cosmetology), Kamryn Cox (Cosmetology) and Kelsie Aycock (Cosmetology)
- Business Management: Career Pathways Showcase- Bryan Angel (Computer Engineering), Cal Sagadraca (Computer Engineering) and Cody Smith (Computer Engineering)
- Cosmetology Beginner: Rebekah Brantley (Cosmetology)
- Industrial Motor Control: Jason Davenport (Industrial Systems)
- Mechatronics Team 503: Corey Edwards (Electrical Engineering) and Travis Wright (Electrical Engineering)
- Promotional Bulletin Board: Pamela Arrington (Cosmetology/Instructor Trainee), Veronica Cheeks (Cosmetology/Instructor Trainee) and Melody Fields (Cosmetology/Instructor Trainee)
- Technical Computer Applications: Joshua Jacquez (Computer Engineering)
- Cosmetology Beginner: Shaista Parveen (Cosmetology)
- Cosmetology: Latorria Vick-Tapp (Cosmetology)
- Computer Programming (High School): Caleb Garcia (Computer Engineering, Career and College Promise)
- Electronics Technology: Jorge Antunez (Electronics Engineering)
- Hair Coloring: Margie Harper (Cosmetology)
- Information Technology Services: Michael Peterson (Computer Engineering)
- Job Interview: Samia Silver (Medical Assisting)
- Medical Assisting: Tiajuanna Arrington (Medical Assisting)
- Mechatronics Team 501: Eric Gomez (Electrical Engineering) and Josue Ramirez-Pioquinto (Electrical Engineering)
- Audio/Radio Production: Angela Bennett (Broadcasting and Production) and Joshua Edwards (Advertising and Graphic Design)
- Medical Assisting: Terolyn Arrington (Medical Assisting)
- Nail Care: Alma Scott (Cosmetology/Manicuring)
- Mechatronics: Eric Gomez (Electrical Systems) and Josue Ramirez-Pioquinto (Electrical Systems)
- Nail Care: Shakira Cooper (Cosmetology/Manicuring)
- CNC Turning Specialist: John Todd (Computer-Integrated Machining)
- Cosmetology: Auriel Bryant (Cosmetology)
- Culinary Arts: William Gorham (Culinary Arts)
- Restaurant Service: Julia White (Culinary Arts)